Giachelli Lab

Principal Investigator

Cecilia Giachelli

• Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pathology, University of Washington School of Medicine, 1989
• Ph.D., Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1987
• BS, Biochemistry, University of California at Davis, 1982

Dr. Giachelli is the Hunter and Dorothy Simpson Endowed Chair in Bioengineering. She also teaches several graduate courses each year. She has received several awards and honors including the Jack W. Coburn Lectureship (Amer. Soc. of Nephrology, 2011), Elected Fellow (American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, 2011), Advances in Mineral Metabolism Investigator Award (2003), and American Heart Association Established Investigator Award (1996-2001).

Researchers

Subramanian Dharmarajan – Acting Instructor and Lab Manager

• Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle 2019.
• PhD, Biology, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, 2017.
• Masters, Biology, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, 2012.
• Bachelors, Biotechnology, Dr. D.Y. Patil University, Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra, India 2009

Subbu has been with the Giachelli Lab for nearly three years, starting as a postdoctoral fellow and was recently promoted to Acting Instructor.

Graduate Students

Apichai Yavirach (Yao)

• Ph.D. candidate, Oral Health Sciences, University of Washington
• Prosthodontics Postgraduate Program, Chiang Mai University, Thailand, 2017
• D.D.S., Doctor of Dental Surgery (Hons.), Chiang Mai University Thailand, 2015

Before I joined a Ph.D. program and Giachelli lab, I had been working as an instructor at the Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Chiang Mai University, Thailand. My specialty is to work on tooth replacement with removable and fixed dental prostheses, therefore, I am interested in dental material research. In addition, I would love to apply basic sciences to dental research since understanding the oral diseases from a microbiology perspective can provide very useful pieces of information leading to novel and efficient treatments. In Giachelli lab, I have been investigating possible pathophysiology of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (MRONJ) and working on the application of engineered osteoclasts as a potential local cell therapy. In my free time, I love to swim, run, sing, and enjoy Pacific Northwest nature.

Hao Zhou

• M.S. Material Science and Engineering, Cornell University
• B.S. Material Science and Engineering; Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison

Hao is a Graduate Research Assistant working towards his doctorate in Bioengineering. He has been with the Giachelli Lab since January 2020. His research interests include Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Inflammatory Response, and Tissue Engineering. With these interests and his educational background, Hao plans to . Music is important to him, and outside of the lab he is an avid music producer.

Lab Assistants

Kat Pierce

Kat graduated from the University of Washington in 2018, receiving a BS in Biology with Honors. She has worked for the Giachelli Lab for four years, working on a number of projects. Kat plans to apply to medical school in the next few years.

Jake Lally

I am a junior undergraduate preparing to apply to medical school and majoring in Law, Societies, and Justice. I have been involved with the Giachelli Lab for a year and a half. During this time I have primarily been working under Subramanian Dharmarajan examining the effects of the Runx2 gene on Calcific Aortic Valve disease. I have also worked with Liz Soberg studying chronic kidney disease. Outside of the lab I am an officer in the UW chapter of AED Premedical Honors Society, a COPE Health Scholar at Swedish Hospital, and a Resident Advisor. I love doing activities outdoors in the great PNW including running, hiking and camping.