The Bioengineering Department is dedicated to supporting student health and wellness. Faculty are often the first to notice when a student might need additional help and support.
How can faculty help?
- The goal is to create a climate of care.
- Encourage excellence, not perfection.
- Think about how you want to encourage healthy competition.
- We suggest that you talk with students at the beginning of the quarter and normalize getting help.
- Frame failure as opportunity to learn.
- If a student comes to you with mental health concerns, listen with compassion and refer them to the Counseling Center (206-543-1240) or Hall Health Mental Health Clinic (206-543-5030). If you believe there is an imminent health or safety threat please call 9-11.
Other Campus Resources for Students
- UW Health and Wellness website is a great place for students to find help and support for a variety of needs.
- Health Huskies is another great website to help find the right resources and even offers an excellent Wellness Resource Guide for students, faculty, and TA/RAs.
- Confidential Advocates: support, students’ rights, options, safety planning:
- Health and Wellness Advocate (206) 685-4357
- UWPD Victim Advocate (206) 543-9337
- SAFECAMPUS 24/7 Resource-(206) 685-SAFE (7233)
- Emergencies & UWPD- 9-11